Monday, January 26, 2009

What are your favorite quotes or Proverbs?

Just thought I'd do a blog on some things I find interesting about Ireland.

4,062,235 is the population of Ireland. The size of Ireland is just a bit bigger than West Virginia.  I feel that going to college at the U of A has given me connections all over Arkansas..meaning I can drive somewhere and go oh yeah I'm in Lonoke...Shea's parents live here...and so on and so on.. Well I feel Ireland has the same thing going..Everyone knows of everyone else..

Arkansas's population as of 2000...so I'm sure this has grown is 2,673,400.  Just to put # of people in perspective.  

Some odd facts...or at least I find them odd.

  • Presidential contender Barack Obama’s maternal great, great, great grandfather Fulmuth Kearney came from Moneygall, in County Offaly. Mr. Kearney came to America in 1850.
(and they don't let you forget this one lately!)

And a few Quotes by notable Irish 

"All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed."
- Sean O'Casey

"You know it's summer in Ireland when the rain gets warmer."
- Hal Roach


"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
- Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)


"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart."
- Jonathan Swift


"Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement."
- C. S. Lewis



Now some Irish Proverbs!

If you dig a grave for others, you might fall into it yourself.

Cheerfulness is a sign of wisdom.

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad."  
A merry heart lives long.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

"Nil aon tintean mar do thintean fein."
There's no fireside like your own fireside.


Anyway what are your favorite quotes or proverbs?!  One of my favs is by Henry David Thoreau,

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined."



1 comment:

miss mary said...

like the last 3 provebs they explain me very nicely