Saturday, January 10, 2009

Some things I have observed!

Here are a few things that I have found to be interesting while being in Dublin.  Also I got lots of questions when I was home so here are some answers to common questions I got!

 Drinking age is 18 here! Driving under the influence is taken more seriously here in my opinion.  Richy won't drive after two beers.  I also have to say that I don't think the Irish people I surround myself with drink anymore than friends and family back home.  The drink thing would be a stereotype here in Ireland I believe!

Irish young people going "traveling".  It is very common for a person to graduate get started in their profession and then just stop for 6 months to 2 years to travel the world.  We're talking all over and nearly every continent.  When questioning the expense of it all, I am told most take out loans.  Which leads me to the next big observation.

If you are Irish and you go to a public college (kinda like a state school..ie U of A) you don't pay for college.  I'll repeat.  College is literally free here.  Of course you have to have the grades, etc.  My friend Clair went to a well known college in Dublin and said she paid a 700 euro registration fee. ( think I'm right on that number) The education is great here too!  So since students aren't burdened with student loans, whats taking out money to travel the world!  Probably the best education yet!

We spell word different than Irish and UK people.  For example Color and Colour.  Favorite and Favourite.  I learn more nearly everyday!  Weird!

This just might be me, but do most of y'all have a mini trash can in every room? Kitchen , bathrooms, laundry room, bedrooms?  well most of the homes I've been in have one trash can.  This American can make some trash!  Richy had to give me a lesson on recycling and I thought I already went above and beyond! 

Anyway enough random thoughts for now! Happy Saturday!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this post. I can't believe they get to travel so much. We (on the other side of the pond) need to take a page from their book!

PS I never feel like I recycle enough. I'm just not that educated about it.

Joanna said...

They are huge on recycle! It cost like 25 cents per plastic bag at the grocery. Basically it encourages people to bring their own or get the cute recycle bags!

miss mary said...

if its the richard that i know the law is no drinking anddriving here so take note

miss mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly Bittle Puryear said...

Josie... I miss you. It was so nice to have you home! Coy is Mr. Recycle as well... what sort of things do you recycle that you don't recycle at home?

Joanna said...

ya know how some plastics can't be recycled? like i don't know,stuff you try and dudes just leave it in there..well here you recycle it all!