Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Belfast






So after horrible weather but good fun on the north coast we made our way to Belfast! After a fun night out in Belfast we decided to do the bus tour of the city first thing!
Part of the tour takes you to the parts of Belfast where there were lots of problems during "the troubles" Literally one street would be very loyal to Great Britian (Protestant) and then one street over would be very loyal to Ireland (Catholic).
It is quite interesting to see and I don't know if it is just me or not but you can feel the tension when on those two streets. I'd never like to find myself on either street I know that for certain. This is when I truly see the importance of keeping religion and state seperate.
There is actually a huge fence that separates the two neighborhoods. They close the gates on the weekends and then open it again for the business week on Monday.

No comments: